Pivot 2020 Team Lead - Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Northwest Territories
Note: The cutoff for applications for our Team Leader roles is 5pm PDT on Tuesday August 25.
Are you passionate about helping Canada come back from COVID-19 and see young people as the catalyst to do this? Do you have big ideas and want to be part of the conversation in an innovative program combining city-building, urban research and future employment skills for as many as 1,200 youth this fall?
The Pivot 2020 Team Lead role might be for you if:
- You are interested in seeing things in your city change for the better, have something to say and are eager to have your ideas and perspectives heard.
- You love working with and motivating young people, and have experience in people management, mentorship and capacity building.
- You’re a leader and a collaborator - you thrive with a lot of responsibility and have a track record of getting things done on projects with short timelines and multiple moving parts, and you are especially good at paying close attention to detail and ensuring that nothing falls through the cracks.
- You’re skilled at creating inclusive environments and a sense of belonging for diverse groups of people.
- You communicate clearly and you write well.
- You have some experience gathering information and/or doing research or an awareness of research methods, and you are excited to learn more about administering surveys, interviewing people about your city and finding the stories in your city.
- You're between the ages of 18 and 29 (as this role is funded by the Government of Canada through the Youth Employment and Skills Strategy).
Pivot 2020 is a national program in partnership with SFU Morris J Wosk Centre for Dialogue, Youthful Cities and the Canadian Council for Youth Prosperity. Pivot 2020 will provide 1,200 young Canadians with paid research positions in 27 cities across Canada, resulting in robust data on youth needs and their vision for cities to use as part of their pandemic recovery plans.
As part of this program, we are hiring 130 Team Leads who will be the backbone of each local city program. Our Team Leads will report to their respective City Coordinator, and work remotely for 12 weeks.
In this role, you will be critical to helping deliver Pivot 2020: training and managing Pivot Team Members; working with local partner organizations and ensuring the success and integrity of overall program delivery; and learning and applying digital and remote-work leadership skills to lead teams in conducting research.
- City level team support:
- Assist with onboarding, training and managing approximately 8 Pivot Team Members.
- Contribute to local program design and development before, during and after the program, including determining program priorities.
- Oversee daily operations and coordinate all program activities in your city.
- Research Delivery:
- Assist in the execution of the 8 week Pivot 2020 research program, including working on social media, conducting local community interviews, collecting data about your community and helping to communicate opportunities for your city to improve post-pandemic.
- Other duties as assigned by the City Coordinator.
Requirements and Key Competencies:
The applicant should have demonstrated ability or experience:
- Working independently and collaboratively with all members of the team: Team Leads support their City Coordinator by independently and proactively taking ownership of tasks and delegating to Team Members.
- Managing others (e.g. camp counsellor, coach, facilitator, retail manager, etc).
- Working with and connecting with youth populations, including those affected by systemic exclusion or marginalization, through shared experiences or otherwise.
- Using excellent interpersonal skills and collaborating with a diverse range of individuals.
- Practicing adaptability and flexibility: The Team Lead works closely with their City Coordinator and responds well to changing demands, accepting challenging opportunities.
- Superior written and verbal and online communication skills in English. The ability to work well in both English and French, including making presentations, is considered an asset.
- Working with or willing to learn Slack, Google Drive, Zoom.
Leadership & Personal Characteristics:
- High level of integrity, confidentiality, and dependability.
- Enjoy teaching and supporting others.
- Open-minded and eager to explore topics beyond own discipline.
- Has dynamism and positivity to motivate, adapt and energize people.
- Places a high value in, and personally demonstrates, values of openness, transparency, accessibility, inclusion and a commitment to equity.
- Displays curiosity by being inquisitive and attentive.
- Shows invention through novel ideas and ingenious approaches.
- Uses excellent judgment, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Has the ability to manage multiple priorities within extremely tight deadlines.
September 28 - December 20, 2020 (12 weeks)
Pivot 2020 celebrates and is committed to engaging the full breadth of diverse young peoples across Canada. This includes ensuring we circulate this job opportunity widely, and asking our partners to do the same. We also strongly encourage applications from qualified people of all gender expressions and identities, sexual orientations, racialized groups, Indigenous persons and persons with disabilities. Should you require accommodations throughout the application process, please contact email@example.com.